The Martian

11:56:00 PM


The Martian
The Martian by Andy Weir

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Now.. there are rarely science fiction books that are well researched. In that small set of books, it is spectacular. First of all the book is easy to read. Even the scientific/engineering mumbo-jumbo is leveled down to below popular science level books. But rich enough to be read as an intelligent article. Three star for that.

And those who like profane remarks thrown here and there, there is plenty. I understand those are LOGs, as the survivor recorded them after the crisis has been avoided. Even though, those logs seems like the crisis was less severe than they actually were. Well, as sci-fi reader, I don't find such dorky character as new to sci-fi. In fact they are quite common. But I think even to talk with NASA officials in a dorky manner is like taking it too far. That said, I really find that, including 'fuck', 'dick', 'gay jokes' are getting quite common now a days in every American literature which was not that present in the past. Probably the society has changed and it seems awkward to me for I'm not from that society. But yes, it is fun to read. For example:


ME: "This is obviously a clog. How about I take it apart and check the internal tubing?"
NASA: (After five hours of deliberation)"No, you'll fuck it up and die."
So I took it apart.
Me: "I took it apart and found the problem, and fixed it."
NASA: "DICK."


Overall, the novel is enjoyable. Very enjoyable.

For one moment I thought if there is a writer brave enough to kill the protagonist even after all these effort... and hell... ^_^



View all my reviews

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images