Formalism

5:58:00 PM

I can count by hands the number of days I have worn tucked in shirt along with shoes and sometimes accompanied by suits, which is commonly known as Formal Dress in my country. During my visit to St. Martins island, during few weddings, during the time I visited India, the long awaited grad night and three presentations I did during my undergrad studies are all of them.

The last time it was during 'Thesis Defense', where I had to present my finding on a particular topic showing something in a way such that I have done something novel and worthwhile. And this is the moment when I realized something has changed.

All these time, when I was in formal dress, there were fifty others of my age doing the same thing. Or, I was among a bunch of officials clearly looking like a juvenile who does not fit in or the one who is showing swag [did I mention, in grade eight, I had a party blazer that glittered? I wore it only twice though and then I outgrew it]. So, I could be transparent while wearing this, people would think this is a kid and let him be. Keep in mind, it is actually not that common for folks to wear this in my country. Even when people wear these in offices, you can tell which economic class they belong to just by observing their attitude or noticing how shabby the clothes are.

I was saying, things changed. That morning, the one in which I defended my thesis with a bellicose attitude, I woke up and realized I had to get to college within an hour. I wore jeans, tucked in my shirt and slipped in my penny loafer and promptly started for college. And after few events the ceremony was over. Fortunately, the professors were quite happy and impressed. Twelve of us defended their thesis that day.

Things were the same when I left the academic building. But after an hour I returned and got in the elevator. Two worker were in that elevator as well. When I entered the elevator they stopped their chatter. This has not happened to me before. Workers, officials would continue to do what they were doing regardless of the student in front of them. 'Were they scheming something?' Nah! This is not what I thought. I am not one of those person who would give in to paranoia. Probably they thought I was someone important in front of whom they had to keep their mouth shut. So it's time to experiment.

I took the elevator in round trips. One time a person was hesitating whether he should press the button of his destination. I had to recede a little, and that person was at peace, and could press the button with ease. But I wasn't blocking the interface. I saw people looking at me not understanding what was happening. They certainly didn't know me. There was also not an occasion when few dozens like me would stroll the area. I was also keeping a stature as if I was here for something very important.

I was no longer the teen who, for some reason, trying to be formal. Not the student who just gave a presentation and all of them are leaving the area with a grin in their face and using slang among themselves. I was calm and acted as if I was going to an executive meeting. And it changed the behavior of everyone around me. Probably, some reader has already experienced this before. But it was a first for me. Besides, I was also in bliss for I just finished my undergrad studies and deserved some power poses anyway.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images